Works Cited

Monday, May 2, 2011

Objective 43 & 44: Describing anatomy and histology of the nose, pharynx, larynx, trachea, bronchi, and lungs & Locate and identify the functions of each respiratory system structure

NOSE
There seems to be alot going on in the nose.  The anatomy of the nose through my understanding is this, the naval cavity is found in the nose and joins the pharynx.  The nostrils are the external openings of the nasal cavity and the chonchae are the posterior openings from the nasal cavity to the pharynx.  The vestibule is the anterior part of the cavity, and the nasal septum divides the cavity into 2 parts.
The histology of the nose is that certain parts of the nasal cavity is lined with stratified squamous epithelial cells, which I believe the vestibule is lines with it.  The mucous membrane that lines the nasal cavity has pseudostratified ciliated columnar epithelium.

PHARYNX
Only thing I can say about the anatomy of the pharynx is that I know it is divided into 3 parts:  Nasopharynx, Oropharynx, and Laryngopharynx.  What I know or should I say what I think I know about the naso pharynx is that it is the superior region of the pharynx and is lined with mucous membrane.  I know that food, drink, and air pass throught the oropharynx and that it is lined with stratified squamous epithelium. Only thing I know or really care to know about the laryngopharynx is that it is lined with squamous epithelium.

LARYNX
I do know a great deal about the larynx's anatomy.  I know that it consists of nine cartilages and that six of the cartilages are shared and 3 are not.  The Adam's apple or thyroid cartilage is the largest of the cartliages.  The unshared cartliage is the cricoid which form the base of the larynx and that all the other cartilage lays on it.

TRACHEA
I love the trachea because to me it is the easiest to identify in dissection.  It is a tube that has c-shaped rings of cartilage.  The rings do not wrap fully around.  The posterior wall contains no cartilage.  This is all I can say about the anatomy of the trachea.  Histologically the trachea consists of dense regular connective and smooth muscle tissue.  It is lined with pseudostratified ciliated columnar epithelium.

BRONCHI
I really did not get a feel for the bronchi because to me there was too little information that I gathered about it.  I will say though that wikipedia did help me out.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchi

LUNGS
I learned that the lungs have three lobes on the right and two on the left.  The left lung has the cardiac notch so that it can house the heart.  For the histology of the lung I went to this website http://bio.rutgers.edu/~gb102/lab_10/1001am.html.
Everything here I absorbed from my textbook and websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment