Works Cited

Friday, April 29, 2011

Objective 20: Structure, Function, Life cycle, and Production of Erythrocytes and Leukocytes

ERYTHROCYTES
Erythrocytes (RBC) are small biconcave discs with depressed centers.  I think of a doughnut everytime I see a RBC.  I have learned that a mature RBC does not have a nucleus.  Guess that is why it has an identation in the center of it.  Young RBC are bumpy and does have a nucleus but as it matures the nucleus gets pushed out.  I knew that blood had a function of transporting carbon dioxide and oxygen but did not realize that hemoglobin had such a factor in it for some reason.


Leukocytes
My textbook has taught me about leukocytes because there is a chart on pg. 562 (which is below this paragraph) that lists and describes their structure, function,  and life cycle.  So it was easy to memorize how it look and its function etc. The leukocytes (WBC), are of two types; granulocytes, and agranulocytes.  The trick for me memorizing  the leukocytes was that the granulocytes ended with -phil and the agranulocytes ended with -cyte.  All are involved in defending the body against foreign organisms. The three types of granulocytes: neutrophils, eosinophils, and basophils, with neutrophils the most abundant. Neutrophils seek out bacteria and eat them up.


No comments:

Post a Comment